Succulents - Crassula Perforata Variegata | Green Patches - Mediterranean Gardening

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Succulents - Crassula Perforata Variegata

Leave a Comment
crassula perforata variegata
Crassula Perforata Variegata
Finally I found a name for one of my succulents :)  This succulent is a native of South Africa and is of the Crassulaceae family.  It and can be grown in full sun or partial shade and prefers bright light and good airflow.  The spot I chose for it in this container gets about 4 hours of sunlight a day and it seems to be doing quite well.

As with all my other plants I planted this in compost but I should have used a sandier soil.  I had originally placed the succulents in a smaller pot and it was getting quite crowded.  As a result growth was restricted.  Since I placed them in a bigger pot these plants have flourished and have grown at least another three inches since then.

Unfortunately the roots are a tangled mess now so I cannot remove them from their current location to a dedicated pot. The only choice is to keep upgrading their pots every once in a while, which is a shame really because these plants can grow up to 2 feet tall and 3 feet wide!

Despite being a succulent they don't drink that much, I hardly water them at all and the soil remains moist for a long time.  I keep getting alarm bells in my head thinking root rot (!!) but it's been almost six months now and they seem happy and growing strong.  I should move them to a sunnier place in winter though to allow some of the water to evaporate due to increased rainfall.

0 comments:

Post a Comment