Plumbago - Growing up with first flowers | Green Patches - Mediterranean Gardening

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Plumbago - Growing up with first flowers

Leave a Comment

plumbago auriculata
Plumbago - looking fuller but few buds

The Plumbago is doing very well but the growth rate is very slow.  I had read that this is a fast growing plant that if not kept in check can overwhelm the space.  I don't think there is chance of that happening here. 

The plant only gets a few hours of sunlight a day and since we are now towards the end of September it's not that strong.  The foliage is getting fuller and I have a few buds which look promising but nowhere near what I thought it would be.  I also think the pot it too large for this plant for now.  I put it in a larger pot as I thought it would grow very fast but as I said it doesn't seem to be the case.

I test the soil with my fingers and if it's dry I water it, and I try to fertilise it regularly but still it's a slow grower.  The good news is I had some flowers the other day and I was surprised to see that they were white.  My plumbago is an imperial blue so I was quite surprised to see white flowers there.  The plant is in the shade for most of the day so perhaps that's the reason, it's not getting enough sun.  I will have to move it to a sunnier place in Winter.

0 comments:

Post a Comment