Schefflera - Doubled in Size over Summer | Green Patches - Mediterranean Gardening

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Schefflera - Doubled in Size over Summer

Leave a Comment
schefflera arboricola
Schefflera - August 2011

I must say the Schefflera is becoming a monster.  It is now August and the Scefflera has been growing almost every day since last spring.  The plant has almost doubled in size since we first got it.  It is such an easy plant to care for, I rarely give it any fertiliser, it's growing enough as it is and I only water it when the soil has gone completely dry.

The next step for this plant is repotting.  I don't want to increase the pot size but I want to replace the soil.  I believe it has gotten every possible nutrient that soil had to offer by now so I intend to remove it from the pot, remove the soil carefully from the roots and pot and replace with new soil. The plant was originally planted in normal peat and it did very well so it shouldn't be an issue. 

My biggest issue is size.  We are now nearing the end of summer so the plant should go dormant again but if it grows like this next year I will have no space for it in my yard.  On the other hand if I cut it down it will only grow bigger.  Hmm.... decisions, decisions.

Check out this site on how to re-pot a Schefflera. I will be posting my own experience when I get down to it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment